10 Facts About Hydrogen Sulfide:
- It can result in rotten-egg-smelling urine, breath, or flatulence.
- There is currently no breath test available for detecting hydrogen sulfide SIBO.
- A link exists between hydrogen sulfide & ulcerative colitis.
- Methane-producing bacteria and sulfate-reducing bacteria both consume hydrogen and may out-compete each other.
- Hydrogen sulfide in the brain affects memory and learning.
- Flat lining of methane and hydrogen on a lactulose breath test (when symptoms are present) can indicate presence of hydrogen sulfide.
- Normal amounts of hydrogen sulfide have beneficial effects such as regulation of inflammation.
- But excess levels of hydrogen sulfide is poison to mitochondria (known as the “powerhouse” of cells).
- Bacteria responsible for significant production of hydrogen sulfide include enterococcus, streptococcus, and prevotella.
- Heavy metals and sulfate-reducing bacteria are double danger (they have a synergistic effect).