Riley was born and raised in Portland, Oregon and obtained her undergraduate degree at nearby Pacific University. After graduating Summa Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Accounting, Riley found herself too ill to proceed with her plan of becoming a CPA.
At the time, she was reacting to nearly everything she ate and had developed severe itching that interrupted her sleep and caused her legs to bleed from the scratching. Not to mention the migraines, acne, seasonal allergies, PMS, and digestive issues that had been going on for years!
Inspired by her own journey and the lack of quality resources for overcoming such severe food sensitivities, Riley decided to use her intelligence, dedication, and passion for helping others to become a resource for those dealing with chronic illness. She began spending all her free time researching SIBO, health, and nutrition and the rest is history!
Riley formalized her nutrition education by attending the National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM) in Portland, OR where she earned a Master of Science in Nutrition (MScN) degree. The whole-foods based, holistic approach provided Riley with a thorough understanding of a variety of health conditions and the powerful ways in which food can be medicine.
Riley has been honored to have the opportunity to work closely with well-respected naturopathic physicians at the forefront of treating small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). Riley has worked for former NCNM (now NUNM) SIBO Center physicians Dr. Melanie Keller and Dr. Steven Sandberg-Lewis. She has also had the opportunity to shadow and work closely with Dr. Allison Siebecker, Dr. Megan Taylor, and Dr. Khivan Oberoi.
It is important to Riley that she stay up-to-date on the latest health research. One of the ways she does this is by attending continuing education events. Here is a sampling of conferences Riley has viewed and/or attended:
- NUNM SIBO Symposiums- 2015, 2016, 2017
- Cedars-Sinai Global Outreach Symposium on IBS (& SIBO)- 2014, 2016
- NUNM Health Biz Expo- Dermatology from the Inside Out- 2017
- NUNM Preconception to Postpartum Seminar- 2016
- NUNM Autoimmune Disorders Conference- 2016
If you are interested in working with Riley, schedule a free consult to decide whether it would be a good fit.
Nutrition & Wellness Philosophy
- Honor the clues your body is giving you
- Find balance in life (budget, enjoyment, family), not just in the nutrients on your plate
- There is not one perfect diet for everyone and even if there was, it might not be healthy to follow it
- Please eat cake (or cupcakes, or ice cream, or something yummy) on your birthday- and feel free to make it gluten-free, dairy-free, etc!
In her free time…
Riley enjoys meals with family and friends, exploring the grocery store, practicing yoga, playing racquetball, biking, taking walks around her neighborhood, soaking up the sunshine, and stand up paddleboarding (SUP).