Want a protein-packed REAL food breakfast that’s super easy to prepare? I’ve got you covered!
In fact, there is more protein (9 grams) in this porridge recipe than you will find in a single egg. One of the difficulties with obtaining protein from non-animal sources is that it often lacks one or more of the nine essential amino acids. But quinoa is an exception- it contains all nine!
My inspiration for creating this recipe was that I do not tolerate eggs very well and therefore find it challenging to get enough protein for breakfast unless I want to cook up some meat- and that just doesn’t always sound appetizing!
Although eggs are listed as safe on many SIBO diets, they are a common food sensitivity and I have met several individuals with SIBO who react poorly when eating them. With that being said, I should also note that quinoa is NOT considered to be paleo or SCD-friendly. But when you have to follow a restricted diet due to food sensitivities, I think it is important to not avoid a particular food because it is “allowed” or “not allowed”, but to try it and listen to the response from your body.
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup quinoa flakes cereal, uncooked
- ⅓ - ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 2 Tblsp roasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans), chopped
- 1 Tblsp raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1 Tblsp dried cranberries (this quantity is low FODMAP, but larger amounts may not be)
- non-dairy beverage (almond milk, hemp milk, etc), to taste- optional
- Add water to small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa flakes and stir continuously until thickened.
- Warm blueberries in microwave or on stove top.
- Transfer quinoa flakes to a bowl and add blueberries, nuts, hemp seeds, cranberries, and non-dairy beverage, if desired.
Leave a Reply