Sometimes you just need something easy for breakfast…
Living with a chronic illness is exhausting. Individuals with chronic illnesses often have less hours in the day to get everything done. They typically need at least 9-10 hours of sleep per night in order to function somewhat normally. Additionally, there is cooking the majority of meals from home, taking time for yourself, remaining active, practicing mindfulness, attending doctors appointments, and more!
Although I typically rely on whole-foods based meals with plenty of veggies (even for breakfast), there are some times when I need something that is quick and easy that does not flare my symptoms. Here is a recipe that I created to do just that.
- 2 standard-size ice cubes
- ½ yellow banana
- 1 small handful mixed greens or baby spinach- optional
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond or hemp milk (the picture shows rice milk, but I actually prefer almond milk or hemp milk- I occassionally choose rice milk because of the lower price)
- ⅓ cup reduced/lite fat coconut milk (Trader Joe's is my fave!)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon flax seed meal
- 1 Tablespoon MCT oil- optional
- 1 Tablespoon almond or peanut butter
- 27 grams (1 scoop) PurePaleo Protein- Chocolate flavor (Designs for Health brand)
- In a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients except the protein powder.
- Once mostly blended, add the protein powder while the blender is running (this helps prevent it from clumping).
Mixed greens- If you want to use this smoothie as something that can be made with items that can either be stored in the pantry or freeze, try freezing your mixed greens. You will never be able to tell the difference once they are blended into a smoothie!
Leave a Reply