Another funny story for you this week. The first time I purchased canned salmon, I opened up the can, saw that there were BONES inside and proceeded to throw it away (I cringe at my wastefulness now!). But see, I thought the the manufacturer had forgotten to remove the bones. Little did I know, they were supposed to be in there and are actually a great source of calcium and phosphorous. You don’t even notice them once you mash them up in this recipe because they are soft and fragile.
The inspiration for this DELICIOUS recipe comes from one of my talented classmates, Natalie Bickford, who is a culinary genius! Find her over at Super Foodie Life. I am grateful that we have cooking classes in our master’s in nutrition program at NCNM because I am regularly inspired and fascinated by how delicious whole food nutrition can be!
- 1 endive
- 7.5 ounce canned sockeye salmon, drained (Trader Joe's is where I get mine)
- 1 cup baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, finely chopped (according to Monash University, ¼ medium celery stalk is considered low FODMAP & ½ stalk is considered moderate FODMAP- choose amount of celery to include based on your FODMAP tolerance)
- ¾ cup freshly chopped cilantro (about ⅓ bunch)
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons curry powder (choose low FODMAP store bought option or see homemade version below)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like to use Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo because its free of inflammatory oils and yucky additives)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon and/or lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons dried cranberries, finely chopped (according to Monash University, 1 tablespoon is considered low FODMAP- limit serving to ¼ recipe for strict low FODMAP)
- Low FODMAP Curry Powder- there will be about ½ recipe leftover
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Chop all vegetables accordingly.
- Make low FODMAP curry powder by combining turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, paprika, mustard seed powder, and cinnamon in a small jar. Stir.
- In a large bowl, combine salmon, spinach, carrot, celery, cilantro, 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons curry powder, mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon/lime juice, black pepper, cayenne, walnuts, and cranberries. Taste and alter seasonings as needed.
- Arrange endive leaves on a large plate. Scoop salmon salad into endive boats. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply