About two weeks ago, I performed a second breath test to determine if my SIBO had cleared up. I was very hopeful that it would be negative because I had zero symptoms from consuming the lactulose solution (a very different story from when I first did the test in February). Well, this morning, the results came in!
The good news: my hydrogen levels have gone down (from 72 to 30 as the peak in the first two hours)
The bad news: methane has made its appearance on my test (this is not necessarily a bad thing because my symptoms indicated that I was a methane producer all along and I have read that methane can hide on breath tests). Another possible explanation is that I used different laboratories for the two tests. I have heard that Commonwealth (which I used for breath test #1) tends to under-represent methane.
Unfortunately, my results were one day too late on their arrival, so I was not able to discuss them with my SIBO specialist yesterday. I predict that at my next appointment (in two weeks), we will figure out a treatment protocol to get the rest of those bacteria (and archea) out of my small intestine. I am also currently working with practitioners and doing some of my own research on how to optimize my methylation pathways.
View PDF files of my breath tests: